top button

When to stop testing? (Or) How do you decide when you have tested enough?

–2 votes
posted Feb 6 by Arun

Share this question
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

3 Answers

0 votes

Best answer

There are many factors involved in the real-time projects to decide when to stop testing.

• Testing deadlines or release deadlines
    By reaching the decided the pass percentage of test cases
    The risk in the project is under the acceptable limit
    All the high priority bugs, blockers are fixed
    When acceptance criteria are met

As per ISTQB, It depends on the risks for the system being tested.

Here I am going to conclude the post “Software Testing Interview Questions”. Final words, Bookmark this post “100 Software Testing Interview Questions” for future reference. After reading this post, if you find that we missed some important questions, please comment below we would try to include those with answers.

Here I have hand-picked a few posts which will help you to learn more interview related stuff:

Why You Choose Software Testing As A Career

Software Testing as a career – why I chose?

A simple answer is I love to be a Software Tester. So, I chose Software Testing as a career. I would like to mention a few more points why I love to be a Software tester and chose Software Testing as a career.

I love solving logical puzzles. Testing is kind of solving a logical puzzle. We will be given a software which will go straight to the market if we nod our head that there are no bugs in the software and ready to release. We, the Testers are the protectors at the gateway. We not only find the bugs. We break the system too in terms of stress testing.

I love helping others.

answer Feb 6 by Arunkumaarts
+1 vote

Stopping a testing phase (Or) when to stop testing the application are determined with various aspects. A product is built and enhanced based on the customer's needs and requirements. So the software companies encourage their customers to provide a valuable feedback about their software and there are few customer who provide the honest review about the software and if that review contents any new idea/ suggestion or requirement, based on the business use case the product management team member will take call whether or not to include the new idea or product behavior change.

If the PM (Product Management) team decided to include the idea given by their customers then that ideas are developed and implemented in software and before releasing the update to market, the new ideas are sent for the end to end testing process and in this testing phase the QA Testers are suppose to perform an intense test and find as many as bugs possible to ensure that this bugs are addressed before releasing the update to market. In this phase although the end to end testing is put on pause, however if the customer revert stating that, the found few issues/ error then the testing process is reinstated to ensure that those issues/error are addressed by the concern team members.

answer Feb 13 by Vinod Kumar
0 votes

Most software is complex and has an enormous testing scope. It is not impossible to find all defects in the software but it will take forever.

Even after finding many bugs in the software, no one can actually guarantee that the software is defect free now. There cannot be a situation where we can confidently say that we have completed testing, found all defects in the software and it does not have any more bugs.

Moreover, the purpose of testing is not to find each and every defect in the software. The intent of software testing is to prove that the software does work as intended by breaking it or finding deviation between its current behavior and expected behavior.

There are unlimited defects in software and hence it’s impractical to test it until all defects are found as we can never know which defect is the last one. The truth is we cannot depend on finding all the defects in the software to conclude our testing.

Honestly speaking, testing is endless and testing cycles will continue until a decision is made when and where to stop. Now it becomes even more complicated to come to a decision to stop testing. If “stopping when all defects are found” is not the criterion to stop testing then on what basis should it be decided?

I feel the decision to stop testing is mostly dependent on Time, Budget and Extent of Testing.

answer Mar 9 by Sheetal Gawade